Friday, March 31, 2006

The Suck-up blog

I while back, I read somewhere about an increasing phenomena among the terminally lifeless*: suck-up blogging. This is where a blogger stops whinging about their own life, and starts buttering up somebody else’s (or their company, or their lawyers), in hopes for some moldy crust of e-bread. Grovelling and blogging together. And if you think about it, why not? If you are going to practice two of the most pathetic activities in human creation, it is only natural to combine them. Heck, why not type right-handed and go for the trifecta?

So, I’d like to use this opportunity to say how much I admire Soe Win. He is a great man, a kind leader, and a beautiful human being. When I was a grad student, I was actually invited, by the Myanmar Ministry of Mines, to work in Rangoon and help their government develop their natural resources. How I rue the day I turned down that offer, as the chance to assist the fabulous government of the SPDC would have been an opportunity of a lifetime. Even today, I admire the efficiency and the strength shown by Prime Minister Win, and his steadfast commitment to political stability at any cost. While I have never met the man, I’m sure that he has a firm handshake, a benevolent smile, and a sensitivity as expressive as a Crocodylus porosus.

*A tautological metaphor?

No comments: