Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Lounge of the Field Lemming

I have accepted a job with an exploration company, and will be flying out on Thursday for three weeks in the Northern Territory. I’ve approached a couple of guest bloggers for that period, but don’t hold your breath.

The short story is that I started applying for industry jobs when the university kept delaying my transition from contract to permanent work. When I asked my PhD supervisor (who has been in exploration since I graduated) if he’s write me a reference, he asked me to come work for him. So that is what I’m doing.

I’m not sure how much presenting the long story about deciding between the relative merits of the two offers would add, so I won’t.

7 comments:

ScienceWoman said...

Congratulations, I guess. I hope we get to hear about your adventures in exploration. How does Mrs. Lemming feel about your new travel schedule?

C W Magee said...

She's happy that when I'm here, I won't be leaving before wakeup time and getting home during the early evening nap.

She's not so keen on the times when I won't be around at all.

EliRabett said...

Best of luck. All possible success

Chris R said...

Needless to say, your University are now paying for their short-sighted bean counting. Have fun, take some photos!

C W Magee said...

Sorry dude. The camera is staying with the baby.

Andrew Ironwood said...

Good luck (You probably don't even know me, but Sabine sent me this way to say that -- mayhap she thinks you need all the luck you can get? [smiles, then ducks and covers reflexively...])

(...oh, and bean-counting and farsightedness are [in my experience, anyhoo] purdy much mutally exclusive...)

C W Magee said...

Hang on, I certainly didn't call anyone a bean counter. Less nimble does not equal stingy.