Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Geopoetry disclaimers

 A few notes on the Geosonnet series
I will try to keep them going on Wednesdays as long as I can manage, but I have some travel coming up, so they might be a few misses if my queue runs down.

Selection of a paper for poetry does not constitute an endorsement of the methodology, or agreement of the conclusions; basically, it means that the paper caught my eye and I read it (Reading and understanding the paper is generally the biggest timesink here).

I mentioned in the science week poetry wrap-up post that I can take several approaches to the sonnets- explaining the geology, explaining why the methodology was cool, or just waxing poetic about the broader impacts. I’ll continue to pick whichever approach takes my fancy at the time I write them. I generally blog from the paper copies, so don’t expect to see anything from online previews straight away.


Please feel free to comment.  It is fantastic that some people have been commenting in verse, but don’t feel compelled to do so if you can better express your thoughts in prose comments.

They can all be found under the label of "Rheologic Rhymes" (because they are strained).

2 comments:

Chris Phoenix said...

Speaking as one who commented in verse - I didn't feel compelled, I felt inspired! Your geosonnets have gotten me started writing sonnets. So far, just the two you've seen, and several over on the Nimona webcomic. So - thanks!

Chris Phoenix said...

...In response to one of my Nimona sonnets, someone else wrote a sonnet and thanked me for giving them the inspiration to do it.

So I wrote in reply - I hope you feel the same way:

The poet writes, and having writ, moves on -
But inspiration leaps from heart to heart.
Another reads, and writes a poem anon,
Another work of beauty, grace, and art.
A butterfly's small wing, it has been said,
May cause a tempest half a world away.
Much better, then, a poem that can be read,
Enticing others' spirits out to play.

I thrill to read your poem, I have to say
Not just because it's good, though that is true -
I thrill to know that I helped it into day:
By writing just one poem, I brought forth two.
You wrote the words that I most wish to see:
No better praise than "You inspired me."

Thanks again!